This year will be the year of small and home based businesses and some of the trends behind that are:
The lack of jobs in the market
The focus on cost savings or bootstrapping
The ability to create innovative products by combining knowledge and technology
Work-life balance – people want to strike balance between their personal and professional life and a small home based business can help them do that
Lower start up and technology costs
The aging population of baby boomers that is unable to take up traditional jobs
Here’s a list of the best small business and home based business opportunities and ideas for 2010 that you can consider if you’re thinking about starting your own business.
The aging baby boomers need help in several areas of their life and it is a big market to be tapped. There are several small business opportunities in the senior market that you can look at:
1. Senior training for upgrading their skills for jobs
2. Technical assistance for electronic products
3. Senior and disabled in-home care
5. Food service – preparation and delivery
6. Home automation and renovation to make the lives of seniors easy and safe
“Green” is the buzzword and lot of people and organizations want to make their homes and offices environment friendly. Whether you are an energy efficiency consultant or green energy products manufacturer, you can benefit from this opportunity. Some green business opportunities are:
7. Residential energy audits
8. Training and Products for Do-it-yourself green energy generators – Provide books, videos and personal training for those interested in creating green energy themselves
9. Waste recycling – the environment friendly way
10. Green construction – Construction with environment friendly resources and those that create lesser waste
11. Greening consultant – Advise people about implementing green practices in their homes and offices
With less money in wallets, people are looking for discounts on everything which makes it a right time to start:
12. Unique Thrift Store – Sell low priced products made by non-profits.
13. Dollar Store – start your individual store or buy a franchise.
14. Discount Travel Service – Offer people best deals on travel and accommodation.
15. Import consultancy – help companies save money by procuring most economical products available in the International market.
Even though people want to save money, they tend to waste a lot; whether it is their own money, energy, water or anything else. This year, help people better utilize their money and resources.
16. Energy efficiency consultancy – Help people save energy and thereby saving money and the environment also.
17. Expense Reduction services – Help businesses and individual save money by looking at their day to day expenses and offering advice on where and how to save money.
Health, Fitness & Nutrition
Focus on overall fitness, aging boomers and healthcare reforms have made health, fitness and nutrition related businesses very lucrative. A big market for small businesses with big competition also; but it is still not late to start.
18. Yoga Instruction and Training Center – Help people stay fit and healthy with Yoga
19. Sell herbal products – For lots of people, herbal means healthy. You can easily start selling herbal products right from your home or online.
20. Nutrition Consulting – Suggest best food items and diet plans for people that suit their lifestyle and health conditions.
21. Pregnancy Fitness Center – Pregnant women need to stay fit and this is a niche market that can be captured.
Everything Social Media
Social media’s increasing popularity, effectiveness and low costs has led businesses to jump into the social media marketing bandwagon. Businesses, however, cannot do everything themselves and that’s where they need assistance from a social media expert.
22. Social Media Marketing – Help companies market their products and services online by effectively using social media channels. Social media is also becoming a tool for cost saving for small businesses and, as a social media expert, you can also help businesses achieve that.
23. Online Reputation Management – While it is easy to gain popularity using social media, it is also a cumbersome task to manage business or individual reputation online. Start offering online reputation management service that will help people track their reputation and suggest and implement corrective actions whenever required.
Creativity can turn trash into gold. If you have a creative side, you can easily start a small business right from the comfort of your home and with easily and economically available items.
24. Personalized Children’s Books – Kids love to read stories and what can be better than the stories featuring their names. This is a hot market with parents being equally interested in reading out stories for their children in which their own kids are the main characters.
25. Stock Photography – If you have the love for lens, you can turn it into a profitable small business. Stock photography is a growing market and with various options to display and sell your work online, it is really easy to start as well.
Everything Small Business
If small businesses are to grow in 2010, they will also need lots of services. This opens up several opportunities for small businesses that can offer services to their counterparts. With small businesses focusing on reducing their operational costs as much as possible, anyone offering quality services with lowest possible prices is guaranteed to be successful. Some of the services that small businesses need are:
26. Incorporation – Assist small businesses in the incorporation process by taking care of the paperwork and handling other legal issues.
27. Web Development – Create websites for small businesses that help them showcase and sell their products and services online.
28. Copywriting – Writing a persuasive sales letter that generates sales is an art and if you have that why not start offering copywriting services to people looking to sell online. If you have the right skills, you can even offer writing a search engine optimized copy.
29. Accounting & Taxation – It is important to maintain financial records for any business but small businesses often fail to do so because of the lack of knowledge and skills. Offer outsourced accounting services to small businesses and, if possible, include tax filing and other related services also.
30. SEO & PPC Management – Search Engine Optimization and Pay-Per-Click Marketing are still jargons for lots of small business owners. Help them benefit by using these economical marketing methods by offering SEO and PPC marketing services.
While all of these have been mentioned as best small business ideas, it is up to an individual’s interest, knowledge and skills to choose the best possible out of these. Hope you have found one from this list of the top small business ideas for 2010.
Source – betadaily.com